How much does it cost for local people to volunteer?
At Cheetah Experience Bloemfontein, we have had in the past some great local volunteers who really gave of themselves, took initiative and were a blessing to the project. Similarly, we have had a few who promised us the world but following their induction we never saw them again. We have introduced a one-time fee of R 2,000 which covers the cost of our Induction and Training Programme.
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- We require an application form which outlines your contact details and why you want to volunteer at our project
- Our programme begins on most Wednesdays, but we will confirm the Induction date once we have your application form
- In summer, our day begins at 07:00 and ends at 18:00 with a 2 hour lunch break, but this can be negotiated depending on outside commitments
- In winter, our day begins at 08:00 and ends at 17:00 with an hour’s lunch break but this can be negotiated depending on outside commitments
- You will be inducted along with our international volunteers who come to our project so we require that you speak English. Our programme is therefore only presented in English
- You will have a 6-week probation period and we will assess your skills accordingly via conversation, observation and a mock tour of our project, with you as the tour guide
- Thereafter, we require that you give a minimum of 8 hours per month of your time at our project, you choose the days
- We have a roster for our local volunteers and we need to know a week in advance (preferably) your volunteering days to allow us to make our weekly schedule of duties
- During lunch you may relax, spend time with the animals or take photographs
- Lunch is provided on the first day but thereafter you must bring your own – on a Sunday we order take-away or bring our own food along so you are welcome to order take-away with the other volunteers
Dress professionally for public tours and comfortably for outdoor work. You will receive a free Cheetah Experience Ashia shirt upon completion of Mock Tour. Generally you will join in with our international volunteers in completing daily cleaning, feeding, group activities and other tasks, however if you have any specific skills that could be useful on the farm, we will always go with your strength.