For our local volunteers, a typical day is similar to that of a classical volunteer and is outlined under “Volunteer at Sanctuary”. However, we are flexible with our local volunteers and understand the need to schedule their volunteering around work and/or studies. You will usually join in with the current volunteer team in completing daily cleaning, feeding, group activities, and other tasks.
If you have any specific skills (including maintenance, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, computing, marketing, or artistic) then please let us know – we are always looking for help with different things around the farm. You should be of good health and physical fitness as your days will be spent outdoors.
We have a one-time fee of R2,000 which covers the cost of your induction and training time. You can pay this via EFT or you may pay upon arrival. You need to provide your own transport to and from the program, as well as your own lunch, snacks, and drinks. Lunch is provided on the first day (except Sundays), but tea and coffee are available each day. Should you no longer be able to volunteer with us, Ashia will be unable to refund you in any way.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You can volunteer on any day of the week, but we will confirm your induction date once we have your application form.
- Understanding and speaking English is vitally important as you will be working alongside international volunteers.
- A minimum of 8 hours per month is required of your time at our program.
- We need to know your volunteering days a week in advance to create an efficient schedule.
- Lunch is provided on the first day, except on Sundays. For a small additional fee you may choose to eat lunch with the international volunteers and staff. You are welcome to bring your own food as well.
- At all times dress professionally. Once you have undergone all necessary training, you will receive a free Ashia shirt.