Every volunteer at Ashia becomes an extension of our dedicated animal staff, a helping hand for our maintenance team and a friendly face on Educational Tours for our visiting guests. By volunteering at Ashia Cheetah Sanctuary you will be involved in not only the care for our non-releasable cheetahs, but also for those destined for a wild and free life.
- Preparing game meat and feeding all animals
- Daily cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures (picking up droppings, removal and weighing of old bones, removal of harmful plants, general maintenance and refilling all water bowls
- Monitoring, collecting data and participating in our long term animal behavioural study in connection with feeding times, the interaction between different animals, animals in heat, enrichment, etc
- Planning and helping with animal enrichment
- Assist our experienced guides with Educational Tours as a “shadowing guide”
- Guiding tours once you have completed a mock tour with a staff member (applies to long-term volunteers only)
- Maintenance in all areas of the Sanctuary
- Assist with farming activities such as harvesting various fruit produce as well as working in our garden
- Assisting with needs associated with Ashia’s local Community Program (involves light maintenance and educational sessions of young school children at a local primary school)
- If the length of stay and opportunity allows, assist in the relocation or translocation of cheetahs within our Wilding and Release Program
|7:00 – 9:00||Daily cleaning of all enclosures, depending on day – animal feeding|
|9:00 – 9:30||Breakfast at Volunteer House|
|9:30 – 10:00||Volunteer meeting for daily planning|
|10:00 – 12:30||Group activities such as maintenance, gardening, food prep, enrichment, animal monitoring, data capturing, tours|
|12:30 – 13:30||Lunch with staff and volunteers|
|13:30 – 16:00||Continuing on projects started in the morning, food prep, enrichment, animal monitoring, data capturing or tours|
|16:00 – 17:00||Feeding of animals and end of day cleaning tasks|
Dinner is on a self-catering basis: in the evenings all volunteers prepare their own meals at the kitchen/communal area or on the outside braai at the Volunteer House.
All volunteers will have the option to take two days off per week to explore all that Cape Town has to offer. For working holiday volunteers, you are welcome to have additional time off – should you wish. Any extra activities can be arranged with the help of our staff prior to your day off. All activities and transport fees are at your own expense.
Upon arrival, you will complete an indemnity form. This acts in the interest of the volunteer, the animals, and the program. The program will always take care to protect you – in turn, we ask that you strive to ensure the well-being of our animals. It is important to uphold the good name that we have established over time. Volunteers arrive at different times of the day, so you will shadow a more experienced volunteer if you arrive during working hours on your first day.
Volunteers are required to undertake a full and comprehensive induction covering all aspects of working at Ashia. Induction will start at about 10am on your first full day. You will be assigned to a team and start at 6:30 or 7:30am (depending on the time of year), which means that you have a couple of hours to get a bit of hands-on experience before the induction.
Each volunteer will be issued with a program manual, which must be returned to Ashia. Once the formal induction is completed, you will have lunch and then you will have a practical induction to all the animals on the farm. The following day, you will be given an induction to the curio shop and how it works. You will also be issued with your free t-shirt(s) at this induction. Depending on the length of your stay at Ashia, you will be given further information about our tours and we will help you to start learning about how we educate the public.
You will receive training material, a manual and 2 Ashia t-shirts. Internet is also available at both the volunteer house and the sanctuary.
We suggest that you stay for at least 2 weeks to make this a once-in-a-lifetime experience for you!
|2 Weeks||3 Weeks||4 Weeks||5+ Weeks/per week|
A 50% deposit is required to confirm your booking once your application form has been accepted. The remaining 50% of your payment is due 1 month prior to your arrival. Banking details will be provided upon confirmation of your application.
Your 50% deposit will not be refunded should you cancel your participation in the program at any time. If you cancel your booking less than 30 days before your start date, you will not be eligible for a refund of any kind. We can put all money paid towards a different date if you wish to reschedule your volunteer experience. Fees are to cover administration work and the opportunity cost of being unable to fill your position at last minute. Once you arrive, if you decide to leave the program early for any reason, Ashia will be unable to refund you in any way.